A Question about Cygwin

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Wed Apr 27 01:29:35 GMT 2022


On 4/26/2022 8:52 PM, yingxuemeimei@i.softbank.jp wrote:
> To:the members of Cygwin
> 
> Hello.
> Thank you so much for providing Cygwin.
> Sorry to ask a basic question.
> 
> Q. I am going to use Cygwin to grep the files with the command below. As this will be done in my computer, the files will not uploaded to the servers/cloud of Cygwin by Internet.
> Is my understanding correct?
> command: grep -i -f FileA FileB > Output FileC

I agree with Eric - Cygwin does not deal with the cloud directly,
though programs running under it can.  I suppose an exception
would be if your local machine mounts a remote disk drive, and
you have Cygwin interact with files on that drive.  But it's
not like a web browser and web pages that send tracking info
to servers behind your back, etc.  It's pretty much like Linux.

Best - Eliot Moss


More information about the Cygwin mailing list