pagefile.sys is reported as being a directory

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri May 3 16:11:20 GMT 2024

On 5/2/2024 7:40 PM, Bruno Haible wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ken Brown noticed this: pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys are being
> reported by Cygwin 3.5.3 as being directories.
>
> Cygwin 3.5.3 on Windows 10:
>
> $ ls -ld /proc/cygdrive/c/pagefile.*
> drwxr-x--- 17664 Unknown+User Unknown+Group 0 Jan  1  1601 /proc/cygdrive/c/pagefile.sys
> $ ls -ld /proc/cygdrive/c/swapfile.*
> drwxr-x--- 17664 Unknown+User Unknown+Group 0 Jan  1  1601 /proc/cygdrive/c/swapfile.sys

It turns out that this was a regression in 3.5.3 and was already
reported (in a slightly different form) in

   https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2024-April/255812.html

and fixed for 3.5.4. Until that's released, you can try the latest test
release (3.6.0-0.115.g579064bf4d40).

> Do you have a workaround? In Gnulib we wish to have a way to access this file,
> that works on all versions of Cygwin.

3.5.3 is the only version that's bad.  I can't think of a workaround,
but maybe someone else can.  If not, I guess Gnulib will just have to
bail out and return a boot time of 0 on Cygwin 3.5.3.

Ken