newer version of mingw64-*-win-iconv ?

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca
Wed May 29 06:58:18 GMT 2024

On 2024-05-28 19:12, Bruno Haible via Cygwin wrote:
> It would be useful if someone could rebuild the two packages
>    https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/mingw64-i686-win-iconv.html
>    https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/mingw64-x86_64-win-iconv.html
> based off the current git HEAD [1].
> Reason: The current git HEAD is a reasonable alternative to
> GNU libiconv; all encodings that it supports, other than EUC-JP
> and GB18030, have reasonably good conversion tables. Wherease the
> current Cygwin packages are based off source code from 2013
> and have a major problem already with the ASCII encoding.
> [1] https://github.com/win-iconv/win-iconv

Ran playground local and CI builds of these packages at v0.0.8 successfully:

	https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?srcpkg=mingw64-x86_64-win-iconv

	https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?srcpkg=mingw64-x86_64-win-iconv

Do we really need the fix at git HEAD to add UCS-2-INTERNAL encoding?

Could someone please do any further tweaks for this source git if required, and
do NMU builds and deploys of these?

[Are we really still building 32 bit mingw packages when we dropped support of
32 bit Windows << 1%?
Steam estimated 32 bit games PCs ~ 0.25% in 2021, and dropped support in February.
Surveys don't even bother to report that share nowadays!]

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry