Cygwin 3.6 x86/32bit builds for Windows 10/ARM64 x86 emulation?

Cedric Blancher cedric.blancher@gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 15:04:47 GMT 2024

On Tue, 1 Oct 2024 at 19:11, Brian Inglis via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On 2024-10-01 05:25, Mark Liam Brown via Cygwin wrote:

> >> There can be no such build, support code for 32bit was ripped out before
> >> Cygwin 3.4 was released.
> >
> > WHY?! WHY?! ;-(((((((((((
> > You know how many Windows 32bit machines are out there?
>
> As far as anyone can tell externally << 1%.

I'd wholeheartedly object to that statistics.
In Paris alone we have the Programming Education CD in almost every
school, which is for the Windows 8+Windows 10 32bit machines to
install a Cygwin-based app to teach pupils programming in Pascal and
C.
That are around 11000 installations alone, and scaled up to France a lot more.
Last edition was made in 2022, with 14000 CDs (one CD --> multiple
installations) shipped until mid-2024.

Bummer is, most of these school PCs are 32bit only, and they are not
being replaced before 2028-2032, but the programming environment needs
to be updated or replaced before 2025.

So YES, there is a market for 32bit Cygwin!!

Ced
--
Cedric Blancher <cedric.blancher@gmail.com>
[https://plus.google.com/u/0/+CedricBlancher/]