Re: Cygwin for Windows 8

On Oct 15 21:04, GrahamC wrote:
> On 10/15/2012 Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > I am running OK on Windows 8 release preview,
> > > although 'cygcheck -c -v -s' does say:
> > > Windows 8 (not yet supported!) Professional N Ver 6.2 Build 8400
> >
> > That will be changed with Cygwin 1.7.17.
> >
> > > Setup.exe (version 2.774) allowed me to choose a mirror site without problem.
> > >
> > > The only problem I have encountered is the device files for
> > > partitions (/dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdb2 etc.) are
> > > sometimes the wrong size or not even present.
> >
> > I can't reproduce that. Apart from that, the size of a /dev/sdXY
> > file is supposed to be always zero. Do you mean the content of
> > /proc/partitions?
>
> Yes, I mean the content of the files rather than the files themselves. I have
> seven disk drives attached, most of them with 4 partitions each. Two of them (sdf and sdg)
> have identical partition layouts with every partition being type 0xFD.
> One of these disk drives appears with partition devices and the other without,
> only the whole disk device /dev/sdg is present:
>
> $ ls /dev/sdf* /dev/sdg*
> /dev/sdf  /dev/sdf1  /dev/sdf2  /dev/sdf3  /dev/sdf4  /dev/sdg
>
> On flash disk devices which are partitioned reading from the /dev/sdXn etc. device
> frequently truncates the data, the last 70 or so sectors are not readable.
>
> On flash disk devices which are unpartitioned it still creates the /dev/sdX1 device,
> this reads the same as /dev/sdX except for also truncating before the end of the device.

Device creation is based on what Windows creates. Cygwin only looks
which devices exist in the internal native namespace and maps those to
the equivalent POSIX device names.  If a \Device\HarddiskX\PartitionY
exists, then /dev/sd<X>Y exists in Cygwin, with <X> being 'a' + X.

As for the missing ~70 sectors, I'm not sure.  How do you know?  Does
the number of KBs you can read differ by this amount from the KBs given
in /proc/partitions?

Maybe that's the missing call to FSCTL_ALLOW_EXTENDED_DASD_IO.  Cygwin's
block device code only calls this Windows ioctl code for full disks, not
for partitions on the disk.  I fixed that in CVS, though.  Can you give
the today's snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ a try, please?

Corinna

Red Hat