Added: python-pycairo 1.29.0-1

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty cygwin@hamishmb.com
Wed Sep 30 15:42:00 GMT 2026


On 02/09/2026 04:09, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 18/06/2026 20:47, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-announce wrote:
>> Version 1.29.0-1 of "python-pycairo" has been marked as stable.
>>
>> Pycairo is a Python module providing bindings for the cairo graphics 
>> library. It depends on cairo >= 1.15.10 and works with Python 3.10+ 
>> and PyPy3. Pycairo, including this documentation, is licensed under 
>> the LGPL-2.1-only OR MPL-1.1.
>>
>> This release includes packages for Python 3.12 only.
>>
>> This release provides the following packages:
>>
>> python-pycairo (the source package)
>>
>> python312-pycairo
>>
>> This package is new in Cygwin, and you can read about it here: 
>> https:// github.com/pygobject/pycairo. Please email me directly about 
>> any issues to make sure I receive the email.
>>
>> Any feedback is welcome.
> Hi Hamish,
> we have a package collision as the content already exist
>
> https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/python-cairo-src.html
Huh, I don't know how I didn't notice that. I'm sorry about that.
>
>
> However when I tried to check my build of 1.29.1-1 , I hit
> ---------------------------------------------------------
> $ pytest-3.12
> ..
>  ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'cairo._cairo'
> collected 0 items / 20 errors
>
> ==================================== short test summary info 
> =====================================
> FAILED tests/test_api.py
> FAILED tests/test_cmod.py
> FAILED tests/test_context.py
> ..
> FAILED tests/test_textextents.py
> FAILED tests/test_typing.py
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Interrupted: 20 errors during collection 
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>
> Are you passing the tests ?

I didn't know how to run them, so I found a basic example program which 
I run to test pycairo instead. I've found that that works, and "import 
cairo._cairo" works, and 1.29.0 works as I tested it using the wxPython 
demo, but the tests as you ran them above also don't work for me with 
the current version I haven't yet properly tested my build of the 
current version, but I guess this is superfluous now that I know there's 
already a package for it. Given the module can be imported and a basic 
program runs (see attached), I assume this is a problem with the test suite?

I assume we should remove my version of the package and somehow make 
that name link to your version, given it's a duplicate? I don't know how 
to go about doing that. Sorry once again.

Hamish
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: test.py
Type: text/x-python
Size: 948 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/attachments/20260930/1643490d/attachment.py>


More information about the Cygwin-apps mailing list