licensing NOT clear for me

DJ Delorie dj@delorie.com
Wed Mar 31 19:45:00 GMT 1999

> Is that right? surely having them available 'on request' is enough?

"The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
 making modifications to it."

I interpret this as meaning that obfuscated sources are not allowed.

> I don't recall mentions of distribution formats in the GPL, just the
> 'medium' - which I would take to mean 'on the same ftp site' in this
> context ..

I interpret "medium" as including the file format.  If I make up a
format that nobody else can read, then I am not providing sources at
all.  I suggest using the same format as the binaries when possible,
because then you know that if the user can get to the binaries, they
must also be able to get to the sources.

"Medium" to me means whatever it takes to get you a set of editable
sources.