Snapshot speed on managing files

Fri Jan 12 10:25:00 GMT 2007

On Jan 11 13:14, Marco atzeri wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have found non specific info on the faq and
> documentation, so I am wondering if there is
> any specific "debugging" reason to explain why
> latest snapshots 20070110 (and 04) are substantial
> slower than 1.5.23-2 on removing multiple files.

FAQ and docs don't refer to snapshots, rather to the release.

Current CVS contains a change which is probably the cause for that.
Before deleting a file, the file is moved to the recycle bin.

The idea is to allow POSIX semantics.  A file which is in use by another
application can be deleted.  However, as long as the file is in use,
it's visible in directory listings.  There are POSIX applications which
treat the existence of the file as a failure in removing the file.  One
step further, there are applications which expect to be able to remove
the parent directory, which is also not possible as long as this file is
still in use.

To overcome this problem the file is moved to the recycle bin in
unlink(2), so that it disappears from it's original directory,
regardless whether it's still in use or not.  I tried to do this as
quick as possible but there's obviously some room for optimization.

Corinna

Red Hat