Syntax highlighting not working in vim73

Harrington, John jharring@qualcomm.com
Wed Nov 10 00:14:00 GMT 2010

Thank you very much, Larry.  This worked, though perhaps not for the reason you expected.  Excuse the long description that follows, but the fix raised some issues that I thought I should report.

I did just as you suggested, removed the C:/utils paths and reinstalled vim.

I then moved all my config files out of the way (including .vimrc and .bashrc) and tried :syntax on, which worked.

I then tried moving my .bashrc back to ~ and sourced it.  :syntax on did not work, which told me the problem was a line in my .bashrc.

By iteratively cutting the .bashrc in half and sourcing it, I narrowed the problem down to this alias, which I have commented out:

     alias vi='vim';

I suspect people will tell me this was never necessary, but I honestly remember years ago having to put in this alias because when I typed "vi" I got an error back that the command was unrecognized, though "vim" was recognized.

I had thought vi was simply an alias.  It is not.  It's a separate utility.

When I type

     $ which vi

I get:

     /usr/bin/vi

When I type

     $ which vim

I get:

     /usr/bin/vim

When I type:

     $ vim

I get:
                  VIM - Vi IMproved

                     version 7.1
               by Bram Moolenaar et al.
	         [etc.]

When I type:

     $ vi

I get:
              VIM - Vi IMproved

                    version 7.3.3
               by Bram Moolenaar et al.
	         [etc.]

7.3.3 is the one I thought I installed.  I don't recall installing a separate utility "vim 7.1", but I guess I must have.  In any case, I'm very satisfied that "vi" is now showing syntax.  It puzzles me a bit that the specific command "vim" still does not work with syntax, but since I never type "vim" (I could easily reverse the above alias, I suppose), I am not concerned.

Thank you again.

Best regards,
John