Segmentation fault with binutils 2.28.1

Steven Penny svnpenn@gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 01:28:00 GMT 2017

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 14:37:04, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> you wrote nothing at all. So it is difficult to understand what is your exact
> issue

I wrote it 4 times:

- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-09/msg00229.html
- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-09/msg00289.html
- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-10/msg00021.html
- http://github.com/Martchus/tageditor/issues/23#issuecomment-331757730

Here though, let me write it 5 now:

    $ cat z.cpp
    #include <iostream>
    main() {
      std::cout << "cout test\n";
    }

    $ x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++ -static -o z z.cpp

    $ ./z
    Segmentation fault

> as in the past you blamed the compiler.

Yes, I discovered new information, so I modified the email subject to reflect
that. Would you rather me continue to blame the complier, or try to help
diagnose the problem?

Example above is MCVE http://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve

> only links to other place are not enough.

See above - also notice carefully that example was included in my previous post
as well

> I saw the comment from Martchus
> "Note that when I had been using mingw-w64-binutils 2.28 (before recent
> update to 2.29) I didn't encounter this issue. I never tried 2.28.1."
>
> So it does not seem an issue specif of 2.28

No one but you has said that 2.28 has a problem. What Martchus actually said
was:

- 2.28   working
- 2.28.1 never tried
- 2.29   working

> Have you built it ?

No

> Or are you only asking Jon to dedicate his time ?

Hm. Last I checked I have already made at least 10 posts on this issue:

- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-09/msg00195.html
- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-09/msg00218.html
- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-09/msg00229.html
- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-09/msg00247.html
- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-09/msg00248.html
- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-09/msg00282.html
- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-09/msg00289.html
- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-09/msg00294.html
- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-10/msg00021.html
- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-10/msg00025.html

Maybe your sense of time is distorted.

> Last time I had issue with cygwin binutils 2.25, I built the 2.28.90
> and I verified that was solving the issue I saw.
> I was not just expecting Jon to debug it alone.

Good for you, but I dont have to build anything to verify the issue - I narrowed
the problem to a single package, and tested with "Test" and "Current" versions.
"Current" works - "Test" fails.

So we could patch "Test", but since a newer version is already available (2.29),
the sane thing to do would be to just upload a newer test version and probably
bypass the problem altogether. If you want to waste your time making a build in
this case that is your business, but dont put that bad advice off on me when I
have already diagnosed the problem.